Saturday, September 22, 2007

What to do?

Your whole life, you've been brought up following baseball, football and basketball (some of you hockey as well), thinking that the 3 major sports are the only ones that really matter. Then, something happens... you start dating someone who participated in a sport not included amongst the 'real' ones.

Sure, golf, car racing, poker, if you told me that someone's participation in these events makes them an athlete, I'd laugh at you and dismiss pretty much everything else you'd tell me. Not only are these things boring, but they take no athleticism whatsoever. But then, someone has to bring up soccer. Fuck!

Look, I'm aware that soccer is the most popular sport in the world, but that doesn't mean squat to me - I like what I like. Sorry, but all those signs in my grade school classrooms must have left an impression; "What's popular isn't always right, what's right isn't always popular." Goddamn right, Garfield!

So fine, from birth into my mid-20's I find soccer boring, pointless and silly. Then, all of a sudden, I find myself involved with someone who played soccer at a higher level than anyone I know personally has played a sport. All this pointless running up and down a spacious field has obviously helped sculpt her into a fascinatingly athletic individual who doesn't know when to say "No" (or rather, "No, this is pointless"). But damn, it's soccer!

So my dilemma is this: I must, for the first time, admit soccer must be a sport, yet I still don't enjoy it. Does my predisposition towards a dislike of soccer lead to some disagreements about the level of athletes in certain sports? Of course, but that's just because she doesn't "understand baseball". Is it my fault that soccer players are useless with their hands?

No comments: