Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Color me confused

*Sorry for the distraction, but going back to the post on March of '93, I forgot to include something that I hadn't realized. I doubt that at the time it even registered, following Thome catching the final out while straddling the 3rd base line (3rd base!) everything's blurry.

Well, the song that came on the Jacob's Field PA system? That song was "The Dance," by Garth Brooks. And "anybody on that team," said Maroon (John, PR Director), "knows what that means. That was Steve's song." Still, the question remains, as it does for my father, why did Steve Olin's wife never throw out a first pitch before an opening day or World Series game? I'm not claiming it'd erase the horrific loss of her love, but would there have been a dry eye in the house? I get goosebumps just thinking about it.


Onto the post...

When a coworker first told me the final score of the Browns game (I had to go to work at halftime), I figured, "Yea, well that's what you get for asking a girl to find the score online." It's amazing women can stand me. But seriously, 51 points? Impressive.

And for shame, the week before, numerous Browns fans were calling for Brady Quinn. I doubt those cheers were silenced in week 2, but hopefully they lessened. The kid isn't ready. While I fully admit that it will take me a while to buy into the legend that already is, don't try to sell me on the idea of this kid being ready for the L. As fans, we'd better hope that Anderson stays healthy and productive enough to keep his starting job at least 9-10 more weeks. The team (and it's not just Cleveland, but other franchises as well) has been guilty of rushing unprepared QBs onto the field. Let's take our time here, ok?

While you're sitting there chanting "Bra-dy, Bra-dy", are you really thinking what him playing entails? He's got to read defenses, deal with the speed of the league, handle the pressure of earning his money, handle the pressure of earning money and praise for his teammates, deal with expectations that have already crowned him a success and most of all win. Actually, those are just the short, pretty, cliche phrases. He'd better take the team places we've never seen them or he's screwed.

No one worth their weight in Ground Round free meals would expect week 2's performance to be the norm, but seriously, give the team time to grow and improve. Mistakes will happen, games will be lost, but in the long run, it may be worth it. Do you see this squad making the playoffs this year, even if Quinn were QB? You do? See? That's why I hate the kid... Let's see what we get in the first second round next year before we get too excited.

No comments: