Monday, April 2, 2007

You are the Yankees

So, remember when I said I'd be wearing my Michigan or BG attire during tonight's game? I lied. My dad went out and bought us both Florida shirts, hell yea! Sure, we took a little ribbing at the bar, but not what we would have put up with were the Buckeyes actually better than the Gators. The most annoying guy was the 60-70 year old guy bitching, "What is that? What is that?" That sir, is the shirt of the team that you've been unable to beat in the only games that matter. That's what that is.

Love how fans of teams (as much as I'd love to single out OSU supporters, I'm not that naive) will find any excuse for their team sucking up the joint. Caught parts of the game in multiple places with different crowds and the excuses ranged from "We're a football school" to "Their guys caught fire from outside and ours didn't". Well, good to see that the Buckeyes still can't admit that the better team won. It's that simple.

I firmly believe that Thad Matta's mindset was, "Ok, we've got Greg Oden, and while none of their guys can take him one-on-one, they're going to exploit our small lineup and pound the ball inside, trying to draw fouls on Oden." Well, Billy Donovan pretty much said, "Yea? Keep thinking that, as a whole, we've got the best interior players in the nation, buuuuut, we'll stick with the outside game tonight." The Bucks weren't prepared for anything but what they'd planned for and couldn't/refused to adapt.

How many times did I hear that the Buckeyes "dominated" the game? Too many. Was I watching the same game? Looked to me like Florida was passively letting Oden get his numbers and trading OSU's 2 point buckets for their own 3's. Thankfully the shots were falling, but do you doubt that there were backup plans in place in case this wasn't working?

My buddy said, "OSU killed the Gators in the first five minutes of the game." Too bad they play 40 minutes. The only score that matters is after the final gun; why not draw OSU into a comfort zone, see what they're going to give and exploit it? Also, while you were "killing them", your lead maxed out at 5. Massacre, huh?

Gee, you're the biggest school in the country and you've got the largest sports budget... Think you could win one championship in 5 years in a major sport? (Yea, I already know you'll come back with, "It's more recent than Michigan." To which I say, "Not only is Mich not my favorite school, but unlike most of your fans, I don't need championships to support my teams. I'll stick with them even when they don't win.")

This takes us back to the headline. You are the Yankees. Spend money, win regular season games - but nothing that matters. Everyone hates you, but you believe you're the trendsetters, the greatest creation since the doorbell (according to Sonic). Think about that and tell me why you're proud of your team.

No comments: