Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Most Epic Baseball Event that Amounts to Essentially Nothing

Today is one of those days that, on the surface, seems like it would be on of those momentous days in the history of baseball. On a par with the Black Sox scandal, Jackie Robinson's first game, Pete Rose getting banished and other days woven into the fabric of America's oldest game.

But is today one of those days? What did we find out today that we either didn't already know or at least have a strong suspicion of? I know myself and people very close to this blog have heard the rumors from good sources that Clemens was on the juice. Hell, why else would he come back to the Astros so late two years ago? Quasi- Jordan Gambling NBA suspension that is why.

So what essentially did we get today? A list of 80 or so names given up, for the most part, by two not so reputable (at best) sources. Most of the guys on the list are inconsequential to the game, minor players sacrificed to fill out the report. The report seems to be pieced together and still has glaring holes. (For Christ sake Sen. Mitchell is on the Board of the Red Sox, if that's not a conflict I don't know what is)

Where's the info on McGuire and Sosa, hard evidence on Bonds, guys like Brady Anderson and David Ortiz. This feels like a drop in the bucket, a much larger bucket of steroid use.

I don't know, maybe this is the extent of steroid use in baseball. Maybe Sen. Mitchell got it right. Probably not. This doesn't make me feel any better about the last ten years. I don't feel like there is closure and I sure don't feel like this is going to change anything.

You know what, I'm not sure I care.

No comments: