Sunday, October 7, 2007

Music, for a moment

Can you name the artists who claim to have sold more than 1 billion albums? Most people would soon guess the Beatles and be correct, but #2, Elvis Presley? Really? I know the guy was big for a time but again, really? Elvis has sold the 2nd most albums of all time? Who is buying them? You can go to any used cd shop and find a plethora of old Beatles cds & vinyl, but Elvis? Who's listening to him?

Go ahead and so "Ooh, I am!" But no, no you aren't. I guess I can recognize his influence and place in history, but I don't know a single fan of his. Lots of people perk up when they hear his name, but few entertain the idea of actively choosing to listen to his music. This figure, which is found floating around the web in many places, is stated in such a way that it almost looks like one person/site claimed it as fact and others followed suit. Seriously, a billion? 10 million records a year for 100 years? 25 million a year for 40 years? Bullshit, I'm sorry.

The Beatles, sure, I get that. It's still an incredible number, but not unthinkable. So, The Beatles are #1 and Elvis is "#2" (better than calling him "poop", I guess), having surpassed the one billion mark, well Wikipedia, who has sold more than 500 million? Michael Jackson and Frank Sinatra, you say? MJ, eh ok, but Sinatra? Obviously the Chairman has his fans. I'm not taking that, nor his talent, for granted. The thing is, if not for much of today's younger generations trying to make a statement - a stand for crooners when that's what they really were, not bubble gum and poppy metrosexuals - his numbers wouldn't be so inflated.

Alla Pugacheva, Nana Mouskouri, Cliff Richard and Tino Rosso - ever heard of them? Well they've sold 250+ million. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen(!), Rod Stewart (?), Julio Iglesias, Elton John, ABBA and Bing Crosby have also accomplished the feat. 4 of my all time favorite artists are in this group, so I've got no qualms about liking "popular" artists, but to me, these are the classics; the guys/artists that molded music into the defining factor for generations to come.
Ok, one more grouping: more than 100 million records sold. Looks like at least 66 in this grouping. What's more surprising; the lack of acts like Simon & Garfunkel, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Metallica, Bob Marley or the presence of Celine Dion, Cher, the Scorpions and Mariah Carey?

Want to vomit? This should do it. Look at some of the names between 50-75 million albums sold. The Corrs? Enya? Shakira? She couldn't even speak English when she recorded her first album! ARGH!

Obviously (well it should be, at least), record sales don't translate to quality of music. I've seen plenty of bands who will never make it big that I personally find exponentionally more enjoyable and talented than most some broad who slides into leather pants and implores you to check our her hips, which allegedly will not mislead you.

All figures are acquired from Wikipedia and some may have even been backed up by other sources. Research, wooo!

3 comments:

erm said...

Let me throw a guess at why Elvis is up there. Granted there aren't alot of people who buy Elvis albums. Hell i don't think I can name an Elvis album. But there is a shit ton of Elvis fans. And there always was.

See there was a change in the record industry somewhere around the early 60's. Prior to this record sales were all based on singles rather than album sales. How many people bought a 45 of HOund Dog or of Blue Suede Shoes. That's what we call an ass load.

Ryan said...

No, that's what we call logic. This is why he'll be our lawyer. Had I stated that U.S. acts numbers are a bit inflated due to the American market being more closely monitored than anywhere oversees, I'd have been slapped. Someone interjects with some sense and rocks the house like a punching bag in the basement. I'd rob a midget just to have erm defend me.

Ryan said...

Yes, I know I spelled it wrong.