Thursday, October 11, 2007

The King's New Clothes

Here's what I think about LeBron and his Yankee's cap. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. It doesn't affect me as a Cavs fan or as an Indians fan. I don't wish ill will on the other people who wore Yankees caps to the Jake so why would I wish it on LeBrick. Shit, its not like he was wearing a Steelers cap.

Now me not caring and there not being a problem with what LeBron did are two different things. With that said, I don't see anything wrong with what Bron did. Plenty of people who live in Cleveland root for other teams (like the Packers), I don't see why its different because LeBron happens to play for the Cavs.

Second the kid is not even from this city, he's from Akron. That's a solid forty minute drive south. If you drive forty minutes east I'm sure you'll find more than your fair share of Stillers fans. Akron is not Cleveland. If it were there'd be a lot more Zips fans. But alas Cleveland is filled with Buckeye fans who have never set foot in Columbus. And why do they choose the Buckeyes over the Zips? One because that's how they were raised and two because the Zips suck.

Now look at LeBron raised in Akron, with no father figure pushing him towards the Cavs, Indians and Browns. Who do kids tend to gravitate towards? Winners that's who. Who was a winner in the early to mid Nineties? Yankees, Bulls and Cowboys.

So not only do I not have a problem with what LeBron did I've got more respect for him. He's a real fan. (He's a douche for rooting for the Yankees, but a fan nonetheless). Everyone who follows the Cavs has known that LeBron is a Yankees fan and wears a Yankees lid all the time. If Bron would have showed up to Game One with a Tribe cap I would have said he's got no back bone. So I give him credit knowing full well that he's going to take heat for it. Now the worst thing that LeBron could do is show up at the ALCS in Tribe gear. That would be sackless.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I agree with erm for much of this; he wore a Yankees hat, so what? Sure, I'd love to see the guy wearing a throwback Tribe cap, but he's a fan of another team, that's cool.

My nitpick is TheBron being "a real fan". How do we know he is? For all we know, he could be a front runner; maybe he's doing it because the Yankees are cooler than the Tribe; heck, maybe it really was foreshadowing. We don't know.

To pick on the kid for wearing a Yank's cap is a bit trivial (hell, I used to be of fan of theirs; Who can top the history of their franchise?) If it's true that he likes the Cowboys, Bulls and Yankees, what's the difference between that and people my age liking Notre Dame, the 49'ers, Braves, Packers, Avalanche and Red Wings (plus TheBron's teams)?

Oh, so while sports fans are growing up, they're drawn to teams that win? Who woulda thunk it?

But fuck the Steelers